Class 8 Auction Market Little Changed in November
The volume of 4-7 year-old trucks sold at auction in November was very similar to October. Pricing was mildly lower on average. Conditions felt similar overall. See below for detail.
- Model year 2016: $30,750 average; $3,181 (9.4%) lower than October
- Model year 2015: $26.943 average; $2,772 (11.5%) higher than October
- Model year 2014: $21,366 average; $256 (1.2%) lower than October
- Model year 2013: $17,166 average; $2,775 (13.9%) lower than October
- Model year 2012: $15,950 average; $630 (3.8%) lower than October
- Model year 2011: $9,250 average; $5,593 (37.7%) lower than October
In the first eleven months of 2019, our benchmark group of 4-6 year-old trucks brought 12.3% less money than in the same period of 2018. This year’s average is heavily skewed by market strength early in the year. If we narrow our comparison to October-November 2019 vs. October-November 2018, the variance increases to 30.3%.
Average monthly depreciation for 4-6 year-old trucks is averaging 3.4%. In the same period of last year, there had been essentially no depreciation. We don’t expect much change in conditions next month, as we enter the period with fewer auctions on the calendar.